Apologies for the late post - we did not have wifi at the temple where we stayed last night, but I am back on the grid now. Hope you enjoy the following post that I wrote on July 6th:
Today we headed to Kyoto, a small city located halfway between Hiroshima and Tokyo that served as the imperial capital of Japan for more than a thousand years. After the two-hour bullet train ride from Hiroshima, we had lunch in Kyoto Station. The city is full of tourists. In our first few hours here, I have already seen more foreigners walking around than I have in all the other cities we’ve visited.
Today we headed to Kyoto, a small city located halfway between Hiroshima and Tokyo that served as the imperial capital of Japan for more than a thousand years. After the two-hour bullet train ride from Hiroshima, we had lunch in Kyoto Station. The city is full of tourists. In our first few hours here, I have already seen more foreigners walking around than I have in all the other cities we’ve visited.
Aboard the bullet train
Richard, Sophie, and Sydney are in good spirits upon arrival in Kyoto
The street outside Kyoto Station
Another view of Kyoto
After lunch, we took a public bus to the Kyoto Cultural Center, where we changed into kimonos, which are traditional Japanese robes worn during formal
events.
A teacher at the center gave us a dance lesson. We learned some moves from Gion dance, which was developed in Kyoto and is meant to depict elements of nature. I struggled a bit at first, but I did learn to unfold a fan and got some cool pictures in the kimono.
A teacher at the center gave us a dance lesson. We learned some moves from Gion dance, which was developed in Kyoto and is meant to depict elements of nature. I struggled a bit at first, but I did learn to unfold a fan and got some cool pictures in the kimono.
It was a very crowded bus!
Heading up the hill to try on kimonos
It took 10 minutes to get dressed, and I needed
the help of several people to put it on correctly
Trying to keep up with the lesson
We rode the bus back to Kyoto Station, where we had dinner at a restaurant specializing
in a Japanese delicacy called tonkatsu, which
is pork loin coated with bread crumbs and served with rice and kelp.
I really enjoyed the pork, but the kelp served alongside the main dish was slimy and sour.
I really enjoyed the pork, but the kelp served alongside the main dish was slimy and sour.
The pork and prawn were good; the kelp (not pictured), not so much
After dinner, we
hopped on the Kyoto subway and headed for Oubaku, a suburb about a half hour from the city. We walked up a steep hill from the train station to our accommodations for the night, the Manpukuji Buddhist temple. We were greeted by several monks, who showed us to our rooms. Like our last hotel stay, we slept on futons on top of matami flooring in a room shared by four people.
As the sun set,
we walked around the grounds of the temple, marveling at the intricate design
of the buildings and the remoteness of our surroundings.
Making our way up to the temple
The grounds were stunningly beautiful
Enjoying the sunset
Jamie told me, “On this trip, we are in the prime of our
lives.” I don't think he meant that we won't go on to accomplish bigger things or experience more exciting adventures as we grow older. His point was that
we will never take a trip like this again.
All expenses paid, food provided, guides and friends to support us. No bills to worry about, or kids and spouses depending on us. It truly is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and all I can do is make the most of it. So far I think I have succeeded, and my goal for the rest of the trip is to keep enjoying this amazing country and taking full advantage of the amazing opportunities were are being given.
All expenses paid, food provided, guides and friends to support us. No bills to worry about, or kids and spouses depending on us. It truly is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and all I can do is make the most of it. So far I think I have succeeded, and my goal for the rest of the trip is to keep enjoying this amazing country and taking full advantage of the amazing opportunities were are being given.
Linda this time. I used to read about travel adventures and writings in English of course and found some very intriguing (such as one from the first Peace Corps volunteer). Yours is now A#1 for me-- nothing as good as this. Please offer to a travel book series.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Linda! Will do. Have you seen my other posts?
DeleteGlad to see you back. We missed you. Your Mom has saved the day.
DeleteYes, glad to be back after a little break!
DeleteKelly, this is your mom. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ I love your blig, this is so wonderful and i know you will take advantage of every minute!
ReplyDeleteWhy thank you, mother!
DeleteKelly, the only thing more enjoyable than reading your blog is having Mary read it to me. We are enjoining your trip almost as much as you are❤️❤️❤️
ReplyDeleteHey Peach, thanks so much. Glad you're enjoying it!
DeleteMission accomplished! Got peach and Tom commenting!!!!
ReplyDeleteHooray!
DeleteThe kimonos are fantastic!
ReplyDeleteOh yeah they are!
DeleteYou look very handsome in your kimono. And you are right -- this is the trip of a lifetime. Sounds like you'll keep it forever in your heart.
ReplyDelete