Skip to main content

Day 4: Wonders of Modern Japan: Skyscrapers, Conveyor Belt Sushi

I had a great time exploring Tokyo with my host family today.

This morning, we took three different trains to get to the SkyTree, a massive radio tower with a top-level observatory that gives a panoramic view of everything surrounding the city for miles.

Built in 2011, it the second tallest "free-standing artificial structure" in the world, and the world's single tallest tower. It is not ranked on the list of world's tallest buildings because it does not have continuously occupiable floors.




Kanon did not make the trip with Mr. and Mrs. Koyama, Riku, and I because she had badminton practice, but it was really nice to spend time with the family and get to know them better.

We had to wait about an hour in line to take an elevator to the observatory on the 450th floor, but it was well worth the wait. The observatory had full-length windows facing in all directions, and the view was stunning.

From the top of the tower I could saw miles upon miles of Tokyo and its surrounding urban area, eventually ending at the mountains and Mount Fuji in one direction or the ocean in another.

One of my biggest surprises about Tokyo so far has been its massive geographic footprint, and seeing it all from above really illustrated just how huge it is.


The long line to get in was worth it!




Looking down on the ant people


That's Mt. Fuji in the background


Squad!


After we got down from the SkyTree, my host family took me to an upscale soba restaurant nearby. We had to wait 20 minutes to get a seat, and you could tell it was very popular.

In the window, we could see a worker making soba noodles by hand, which was a fascinating process to watch. He started with a huge wheel of flour and dough, and rolled it out until it was as thin as possible. He then took a huge knife and sliced the thinnest strands to bring into the kitchen.


Waiting for our noodles


This guy was definitely a pro


I was taught proper soba etiquette: (1) mix wasabi, ginger, and dipping sauce together; (2) pick up soba and dip a third of the noodles into the sauce; (3) when done eating, pour the water that was used to boil the soba (which they give you) into the remaining sauce; and (4) pick up the bowl and drink the mixture of water, dipping sauce, and wasabi.

The experience also reminded me of a general observations about Japan: food is treated with a great deal of respect and reverence.

The most obvious example is the tradition of saying "itadakimasu" before starting every meal and "gochisosama deshita" at the end. This serves as a way to bless the food and give thanks for the meal, and is always said when one begins or stops eating.

Food is clearly a huge part of Japanese culture. There are so many restaurants that the competition to attract customers is fierce, which forces them all to be better. I have not had a bad meal yet, and I think it's because of the effort and care the restaurants have put into exceeding expectations.

After lunch, we took the subway to Asakusa, a neighborhood with a huge outdoor market and the Senso-ji, a massive Buddhist temple. Senso-ji was built in 645 A.D., making it the oldest temple in Tokyo. It gives much of the area a very traditional feel.

The street in front of the temple is surrounded by stalls with vendors selling treats and souvenirs. We stopped into several so I could pick up gifts for friends and family back home, and also got a matcha (green tea) ice cream.


Matcha-vanilla soft serve - highly recommended


At the entrance to Asakusa





Riku checking out the merch




Senso-ji was truly amazing. It sits in the shadow of downtown Tokyo, much like St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City, which provides a vivid example of how many older features of Japanese culture are practically on top of the newer ones, and vice versa.


Oh, how far we have come in only a few thousand years . . .

Senso-ji (lots of people come to say a prayer to the buddha's statue)


Riku making a wish




We took the train back home and picked up Kanon. Then, we went to dinner at a sushi conveyor belt restaurant. Yes, it is exactly what it sounds like. Yes, it did change my outlook on life for the better.

A large conveyor belt goes around the dining room carrying individual plates, each with two pieces of sushi, or in some cases, dessert.

People sitting at the tables can pick up whatever plates they want as the plates pass by. A placard has the name of the sushi that corresponds to the number on each plate to help identify each roll.

There is a touch screen at each table for custom orders. The custom orders are immediately delivered on a second conveyor belt located immediately above the main one.

You are charged by the number of plates you put down the disposal at the end.


This place was packed late on a Sunday night


Grab em' as they go!


The screen for custom orders


The ultimate sushi guide 


Kanon was an expert on deciding what to grab and what to leave on the conveyor belt


I tried at least 20 different pieces of sushi, with my goal being to eat the most exotic, strange looking ones I could find. I could not identify many of the rolls, nor could my host family provide a direct translation for some types of fish.

I know for certain that I tried salmon eggs, salmon belly (topped with melted cheese), raw scallops, very undercooked beef, macaroni and mayo, king crab, and (my personal favorite) fresh water mountain eel with white yams. Try finding that at your local Whole Foods.

We returned home and played a game of Japanese-style monopoly. I held my own, finishing second, which I consider a success considering that the board was entirely written in Japanese.

Tomorrow I rejoin my school group and we head to Hiroshima for the week. I had a lot of fun with my host family this weekend, and I am looking forward to seeing them again soon.

Comments

  1. Wow! Sounds like an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly A! This sounds wonderful. I love your blog and photos and descriptions of everything! Keep it coming! Xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant day my good man! What a magnificent journey. Your host family looks absolutely lovely ...so welcoming. 20 pieces of sushi.....that sounds like the Coney Island Hot Dog eating contest....good grief I hope you are getting some exercise over there. I like the description of giving thanks for the food. A tradition I grew up with but later forgot. Because of you and your trip....I will get back in line....in less it is Lizzy's cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorcan! I've been getting up early to run on most mornings, so hopefully that'll keep the sushi intake at bay! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Such fun reading your travel blog. Cool that eel was your favorite! You sound like you are having a terrific time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! The trip is going really well! Glad you like the blog.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 10: Lots of Torri Gates, Lots of Gold

Another day, another round of visits to ancient religious sites! Temperatures rose to the lower nineties today, so the heat made for a long day of walking while taking in the beauty of several shrines and temples. First up was a trip to the Fushimi Inari Taisha shrine. We took the subway to get there, and the entrance was steps from the train station. The shrine is famous for having over 1,000 torri gates that lead visitors up a mountain to various sub-shrines that are owned by families who pay to buy their own space to worship. The entrance was extremely crowded, but as we made our way through the torri gates and up the mountain, the hordes of tourists began to thin. This made for a beautiful walk through dense woods until we reached the top. We walked back down to the entrance and hopped back on the train to get to our next destination: the Kinkaku Ji temple. The temple located near the entrance The climb begins The torri gates never seemed to end ...

Day 8: Kimonos in Kyoto

Apologies for the late post - we did not have wifi at the temple where we stayed last night, but I am back on the grid now. Hope you enjoy the following post that I wrote on July 6th: Today we headed to Kyoto, a small city located halfway between Hiroshima and Tokyo that served as the imperial capital of Japan for more than a thousand years. After the two-hour bullet train ride from Hiroshima, we had lunch in Kyoto Station. The city is full of tourists. In our first few hours here, I have already seen more foreigners walking around than I have in all the other cities we’ve visited.  Aboard the bullet train Richard, Sophie, and Sydney are in good spirits upon arrival in Kyoto The street outside Kyoto Station Another view of Kyoto  After lunch, we took a public bus to the Kyoto Cultural Center, where we changed into kimonos, which are traditional Japanese robes worn during formal events. A teacher at the center gave us a dance lesson. We lea...

Day 7: Natural Beauty, Fiesty Deer

We were greeted by a morning rain as we headed for the ferry that would take us to the island of Itsukushima, our destination for the day. Boarding the ferry It was a rainy start to the day Itsukushima, or Miyajima, as it's commonly known, is a 30-minute boat ride from Hiroshima. "Miyajima" is Japanese for "the shrine island." It is famous for being home to the Itsukushima Shrine and a distinctive torri gate in its harbor. Choppy waves and hard-falling rain made the boat ride a bit more of an adventure than I would have liked, but we made it to Miyajima safely, and the rain stopped shortly after our arrival. Miyajima has less than 2,000 full-time residents, and the economy is based on tourism. The most revered residents are the deer that roam freely all over the island. Deer are considered sacred in the Shinto religion, so no one tries to prevent them from wandering in the streets, and they are not afraid of tourists. I found this out the ...