I began the day with a short jog around Kyoto. I ran from the hotel to a nearby city park to do a lap around its paved trails, and then headed toward the river on the east side of the city before returning to Kyoto Station.
I have managed to get in a run in each city we've visited, and it's been a great way to explore and get to know each new place. I haven't seem many other people out running, but the pedestrian and cycling infrastructure in Japan is excellent, so finding safe and enjoyable places to run has been easy.
We had breakfast at the hotel, and I did some last minute shopping to get some gifts for my host family. We boarded an 11:15 a.m. bullet train and got back to Tokyo at 1:30.
Almost all of our group's host families live in the Mitaka area, so we rode to Mitaka Station together before going our separate ways until we reunite on Tuesday.
I managed to get on the right bus from the station and made my way back to my host family's home.
It felt great to be back with them. Even though we only spent a few days together at the front end of the trip, I already feel at home and very comfortable with them.
Ruki and Kanon (host brother and sister, respectively) were home when I arrived, and they seemed as excited to see me as I was to see them.
I unpacked and then spent some time showing everyone the pictures from the various places we visited. The Koyamas originally met in Kyoto, so they were glad to hear I enjoyed my visit there.
Later on Ruki, Kanon, and I went for a walk around the neighborhood to visit a park near their house. We all had a good time messing around on the monkey bars and going down the slide. I was glad to see that kids in Japan enjoy a good playground as much as their peers in the United States.
After we got back home from the park, I had my first Japanese cooking lesson. My host mother showed me how to make Gyoza, which are Japanese-style dumplings (she made it very clear they should not be confused with the Chinese variation, which are usually baked).
We started by making the dough, which was just a mix of flour and water. Then, we filled small circles of dough with minced pork and lotus root and folded them together, using water as an adhesive to hold the edges together. To cook them, we used a large, specialized fryer to brown them for about five minutes, and then closed to the top and added water to steam them.
They were delicious - far better than the Costco dumplings I get at home in the U.S. Sorry, mom!
Along with the dumplings, we had corn on the cob, a salad, and edamame beans for dinner. We also made a dipping sauce for the dumplings, which was just a mix of vinegar and soy sauce. I really enjoyed helping out with dinner, and I am excited to try out my new recipe when I get home!
We ended the night by playing several competitive games of UNO. Kanon was kind enough to make a chart to help me remember the Japanese words for different colors. I'm glad to be back in Tokyo for a little while, and I'm excited for our upcoming adventures!
I have managed to get in a run in each city we've visited, and it's been a great way to explore and get to know each new place. I haven't seem many other people out running, but the pedestrian and cycling infrastructure in Japan is excellent, so finding safe and enjoyable places to run has been easy.
An interesting spectacle from my run this morning
Not sure what that sign says, but I'd like to think it means
something like, "Ride your bike or it will come after you."
We had breakfast at the hotel, and I did some last minute shopping to get some gifts for my host family. We boarded an 11:15 a.m. bullet train and got back to Tokyo at 1:30.
Almost all of our group's host families live in the Mitaka area, so we rode to Mitaka Station together before going our separate ways until we reunite on Tuesday.
The gang waits for the bullet train back to Tokyo
The big boy rolls up to the station
Back in my hood in Mitaka
I managed to get on the right bus from the station and made my way back to my host family's home.
It felt great to be back with them. Even though we only spent a few days together at the front end of the trip, I already feel at home and very comfortable with them.
Ruki and Kanon (host brother and sister, respectively) were home when I arrived, and they seemed as excited to see me as I was to see them.
I unpacked and then spent some time showing everyone the pictures from the various places we visited. The Koyamas originally met in Kyoto, so they were glad to hear I enjoyed my visit there.
Later on Ruki, Kanon, and I went for a walk around the neighborhood to visit a park near their house. We all had a good time messing around on the monkey bars and going down the slide. I was glad to see that kids in Japan enjoy a good playground as much as their peers in the United States.
They're awesome kids!
Ruki enjoying the playground
After we got back home from the park, I had my first Japanese cooking lesson. My host mother showed me how to make Gyoza, which are Japanese-style dumplings (she made it very clear they should not be confused with the Chinese variation, which are usually baked).
We started by making the dough, which was just a mix of flour and water. Then, we filled small circles of dough with minced pork and lotus root and folded them together, using water as an adhesive to hold the edges together. To cook them, we used a large, specialized fryer to brown them for about five minutes, and then closed to the top and added water to steam them.
They were delicious - far better than the Costco dumplings I get at home in the U.S. Sorry, mom!
We made a whole bunch of dumplings - but they were easy and didn't take long to churn out.
My host mom turns the dumplings as they cook
Along with the dumplings, we had corn on the cob, a salad, and edamame beans for dinner. We also made a dipping sauce for the dumplings, which was just a mix of vinegar and soy sauce. I really enjoyed helping out with dinner, and I am excited to try out my new recipe when I get home!
Setting the table
The rest of the meal
We ended the night by playing several competitive games of UNO. Kanon was kind enough to make a chart to help me remember the Japanese words for different colors. I'm glad to be back in Tokyo for a little while, and I'm excited for our upcoming adventures!












You're quite the chef!! Looks delicious!
ReplyDelete