Our group made it through the long journey to Tokyo with no complaints. Everyone met in the morning at Dulles eager and ready to go, and we boarded our noon flight in high spirits. I am proud to say I won the “lightest packer” award for our group. My medium-sized suitcase and backpack could have both easily been carry-ons, whereas several others in my group had to check two bags.
Our crew assembles at Dulles airport
Just getting to Japan was an adventure. The 13-hour plane ride
was challenging at times, but also an enlightening experience. While
in the air, I experienced an wide range of emotions - excitement,
nervousness, discomfort, and sleeplessness - but I still enjoyed some parts of it. It was interesting to try Japanese airplane food (pictured below),
watch a bizarre Japanese movie about post-apocalyptic Tokyo, and talk with the flight attendants
and other passengers.
Breakfast on the flight
The wide range of amenities on the plane amazed me. Personal televisions, a blanket and pillow, and two hot meals helped to ease the unrelenting numbness of sitting for hours at a time.
The flight was 13 hours!
Hooray for selfies!
We landed in Tokyo and after making our way through customs, we were greeted by Ray, our guide and translator for the trip. Ray grew up in Los Angeles before moving to Japan for college, and he has been here ever since. His day job is teaching Japanese to foreigners, but he has taken off time during the summer every year since 2010 to help coordinate this group trip.
Ray is in the white shirt, looking at the camera
The bus from the airport into town passed through farmland on the outskirts of the Tokyo area, into the more densely populated suburbs, and eventually into the city.
Our hotel is in Mitaka, a municipality roughly 10 miles outside of Tokyo's central business district, but you wouldn't know that from looking at it - there's nothing suburban about Mitaka. The Tokyo metropolitan area is the largest in the world, and the city sprawls out in all directions for miles.
Mitaka has a distinctly modern feel to it, and the area around our hotel is dominated by a large pedestrian mall filled with ramen shops, convenience stores, and even a place that sells puppy dogs.
The scene across the street from our hotel
Mitaka's main retail area
They have bikes! Lots of them!
Puppies for sale
P.S.: The toilets here live up to the hype - they are amazing. They have more features than most smart phones and are unlike anything I have ever tried.
That button activates the bidet
A few miscellaneous photos from the day:
Waiting for the plane
Arrived!
Our hotel room is very small
Dinner at the hotel restaurant. I know,
I know - it wasn't my first choice.
ReplyDeleteThis is brilliant! I just read it to Lorcan as we had our coffee on the back steps. Have an amazing day. ❤️
Thanks, Z! Glad you enjoyed it!
DeleteThis is fantastic Kelly, I feel like I know so much already about your trip. Thanks for the excellent run down! Holy moly, puppies!!
ReplyDeleteAlso, love the pics!
DeleteStill trying
DeleteThank you, mom! Tyler would have loved the puppies!
DeleteLoved the pictures -- so "Japan". And they do have the most advanced toilets, and you are right: almost more features than a smart phone!!
ReplyDelete